21 December 2006

Baking Day '06!!!

Every year my best friend, Michelle, has a baking day on the first Saturday in December. I think she said she's been doing it since about '94, or '96? Maybe later, not sure; a long time!! I met Shell in Oct. of '02 when I started working at NCMC in Greeley. We became quick friends and soon became so close we really consider each other sisters... In '03 she invited me to join in her baking day and I've done it with her every year since.

The ceremonial first sheet of cookies going into the oven!

Now - you must understand the preparation that goes in to this baking "day"! Shell has a binder of I don't know how many cookie and candy recipes she's collected over the years, typed up, and placed in protective covers. Around Oct. she begins to decide which recipes she wants to make that year. There are some that she makes every year, and others that she switches out just to see how people like them. Usually the day will consist of between 15 and 30 recipes!!! She starts buying ingredients in Nov. and starts making doughs for cookies early in the week before the Sat. of the big day. When it's all done, there are enough cookies to take to 4 or 5 offices (3 to NCMC, 1 with Rich to work, and now 1 with me to work), and to fill SEVERAL other plates and bags for family and friends. And she doesn't work alone!! Before I joined the group, Shell always had her mom and various other family members and friends to help her on baking day. The group has grown and this year we actually divided it into 2! Her sister-in-law Crystal and I, along with her 6 year old niece Katie were over on Friday night, getting the party started. My sister and her best friend Alison were able to join us as well! Then on Sat., the final count of women (and Katie) in the kitchen came to 9. For obvious reasons, Shell can't wait to have a large, professional sized kitchen, just for her baking day!! :) As it is, I think we generally do a very nice job of keeping to the tasks, and maneuvering however we can!

Everyone hard at work!

Baking day is such a fun tradition that I am so glad Shell has included me in for the past 4 years. Anybody want a cookie?! :)

L to R: Linda (Shell's mom), Emily, Shell, Katie, Kristi, Me, Tara, Alison's eyes, and Rebekah.

No comments: